Market for Wi-Fi will top $744 million by 2012
To piggyback on a recent post by Shital, the aforementioned report on “Wi-fi in India” also forecasted that “the overall Indian Wi-Fi market (including WLAN hardware, systems integration and software services, not including embedded devices, laptops) is predicted to grow from the current $41.57 million to exceed $744 million by 2012 (compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 61.4%).”
Among the key findings in the paper were the following:
- As broadband wireless access grows, the WLAN network gear sector will exceed $275 Million by 2011-12 (not including embedded chips), up from the current $23.1 Million.
- Dual-mode Wi-Fi / cellular handsets show promise for bringing higher-throughput internet connectivity to numerous Indian citizens who do not own computers.
- Wi-Fi based solutions have a great opportunity to provide appropriate wireless solution at feasible prices for large tracts of rural India. In combination with long-haul wireless technologies such as WiMAX, Wi-Fi proliferation is bound to multiply and is ideal for quickly connecting rural communities.
Latest posts by Prerna Srivastava (see all)
- Global Public Health & Technology Conference, May 1st – Register now! - April 21, 2010
- Devising Scalable Deployment Strategies for mHealth - October 25, 2009
- Leveraging Mobile Technology for Maternal Health in Gujarat, India - June 9, 2009